- Big ideas and guiding questions are informed by the New York State Common Core K–8 Social Studies Framework: Unifying Themes (pages 6–7).
- Theme 1: Individual Development and Cultural Identity:
* The role of social, political, and cultural interactions supports the development of identity.
* Personal identity is a function of an individual’s culture, time, place, geography, interaction with groups, influences from institutions, and lived experiences.
- Theme 5: Development and Transformation of Social Structures
* Role of social class, systems of stratification, social groups, and institutions
* Role of gender, race, ethnicity, education, class, age, and religion in defining social
structures within a culture
* Social and political inequalities
* Expansion and access of rights through concepts of justice and human rights