C. Partner Paragraph Writing (20 minutes)
- Introduce the writing prompt: “After researching informational texts about religion in Colonial America, write a complete paragraph that explains the role religion played in the colonists’ lives. What conclusions or implications can you draw? Cite at least two sources, pointing out key elements from each source.”
- Invite students to identify any words that they might not know or are unsure about. As students point out words, ask for clarification and annotate the task description with clarifying words or synonyms. For example:
* Conclusions = summing up of points
* Implications = things that are suggested or inferred without being explicitly stated
* Cite = identify
* Source = the place the information came from
- Direct students’ attention to their Inferring Three-Column graphic organizers.
- Give students 15 minutes to write independently. Circulate to assist students as they write.
- Then ask students to work with a partner:
* “Read your paragraph to your writing partner.”
* “As you read each paragraph, work together to identify the topic sentence; underline it in green.”
* “Then identify the detail sentences; underline them in blue.”
* “Finally, identify the conclusion sentence; underline it in red.”