A. On-Demand End of Unit 3 Assessment (35 minutes)
- Introduce the assessment with language such as: “You all have been working hard as writers to learn what makes a quality research-based narrative paragraph. Today you are going to show everything you know what you know how to do on your own.”
- Distribute the End of Unit 3 Assessment: Research-Based Narrative Paragraph about Your Freaky Frog (a second category from the recording form). Using a document camera, display the prompt and read it aloud as students read along.
- Continue to clarify the task for students:
* “You may NOT write about the same frog category portrayed on your trading card.”
* “Choose another category from your matrix.”
* “For example, if you wrote about your frog’s physical characteristics on your trading card, you must choose to write about your frog’s habitat or predators now.”
- Check for understanding: “Give a thumbs-up if you understand and have an idea about which category you might write about.” Note students who are unsure about what they will write. Direct them to stay in the circle and provide a quick example and answer clarifying questions.
- Distribute students’ materials: Freaky Frog matrix, Accordion Paragraph graphic organizer, and informational texts from the module. Tell them that they may use these resources if they are helpful.
- Answer any clarifying questions and invite students to begin writing once they are clear on the assessment task.
- Collect students’ writing to formally assess.