- I can explain what a text says using quotes from the text. (RL.5.1)
- I can make inferences using quotes from the text. (RL.5.1)
- I can compare and contrast literary elements using details from the text (two or more characters’ points of view, settings, events). (RL.5.3)
- I can determine the meaning of literal and figurative language (metaphors and similes). (RL.5.4)
- I can write informative/explanatory texts. (W.5.2)
- I can answer comprehension questions based on text from Esperanza Rising that I have read independently.
- I can identify situations in Esperanza Rising where a character’s human rights are challenged.
- I can make inferences from the text about the characters in Esperanza Rising.
- I can use context clues to help me determine the meaning of words in Esperanza Rising.
- I can write to explain my thinking about the characters in Esperanza Rising.
- Comprehension Quiz, Chapter 4: “Los Higos/Figs” (entrance ticket)
- Anchor charts: Character T-charts: one (created by small groups) about Mama, Abuelita, Miguel, and a second (from individual notes) about Mama, Abuelita, Miguel, Esperanza
- Triad discussions
- Exit Ticket: Independent answer to text-dependent question
- Admit and Exit Tickets